Apple’s MacBook Pro series produces the best laptops for music production. On the other hand, MacBook Air is no longer at the top and is not exactly the best candidate for the job, it still gets the work done. But the recent MacBook Air M1 has come with a lot of exciting features and is considered to be the best of the series due to the inclusion of the Apple M1 chip. Nevertheless, most musicians are left with the question: is MacBook Air M1 good for music production?
MacBook Air M1:
Before we get to the crux of the matter, let’s look at the famous MacBook Air M1.
- CPU: Apple M1 (8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 7-core GPU, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine)
- 13-inch Retina display
- Backlit Magic keyboard
- CPU: Apple M1 (8-core)
- Graphics: Integrated 7-core GPU
- RAM: 8GB Unified PDDR4X-4266 MHz SDRAM
- Screen: 13.3-inch, 2,560 x 1,600 Retina True Tone display (backlit LED, IPS)
- Storage: 256GB PCIe SSD
- Ports: 2x Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), 3.5mm headphone jack
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5
- Camera: 720p FaceTime HD webcam
- Weight: 2.8 pounds (1.29kg)
- Size: 11.97 x 8.36 x 0.63 inches (30.41 x 21.24 x 1.61cm; W x D x H)
- Backlit Magic keyboard
- Built-in 49.9‑watt-hour lithium‑polymer battery
- Up to 15 hours of wireless web battery
- Up to 18 hours of Apple TV app movie playback battery
- Touch ID sensor
- HD facetime camera
- Finish: Gold, Silver, Space Gray
MacBook Air M1 is a smooth laptop with a powerful processor and beautiful design. The superfast 8 GB unified memory ensures that all the programs are running smoothly at a fast speed. Moreover, the long battery life gives you the freedom to take it anywhere you want without the fear of any interruption. Additionally, the stunning display makes it a delight to watch your videos and other media. This easy-to-learn laptop is simply stunning from its performance to its looks.
Check Out: Best Tablet Controlled Mixer
Is MacBook Air M1 Good for Music Production?
All the professionals agree on this: the MacBook Air M1 is much better than its predecessors for music production. Usually, the Air series is not known to produce the best laptops for this job, but there is no doubt that Air M1 is more than good at this price range. It is equipped with Apple’s M1 Chip which gives it a lot of advantages over the past versions. The base model has 8GBs of RAM, which is the bare minimum for running software like GarageBand and rendering high-quality songs with 20+ tracks at most.
Additionally, the laptop has up to 3.5x faster-processing performance compared to the previous entries in all the generations. This means that this new tech will provide a lot of help in handling complex tasks and heavy workloads. For music producers, the M1 chip will give music apps and plugins a huge amount of boost which will make the music production process a lot better.
Check Out: Best Mandolin For The Money
To be blunt, yes, MacBook Air M1 is good for music production. It is not Pro, but it still gives an awesome boost.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Is 8GB MacBook Air M1 enough for music production?
A: Yes, it works more than fine. Many users have reviewed that although they would get bigger memory in their next purchases, they can still work fine with MacBook Air M1 for music production. It manages to produce flawless music without any problem.
Q: What accessories should I buy with my MacBook for music production?
A: Here are some accessories that would go great with your MacBook for music production.
- KRK RP5 Rokit 5 G4 Professional Bi-Amp Studio Monitor Pair Speakers
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Studio Headphones
- Apogee Jam+ USB Instrument Input and Stereo Output
- Apogee MiC Plus USB Microphone
- IK Multimedia iRig Pads MIDI Groove Controller