Many people are familiar with the struggle of transferring all of their data to new computers or laptops. But musicians have it harder than others. Not only do they have the data that we mortals have, but they also need to transfer all the software and plugins related to music production. But plugins can be a bit tricky. Hence, we prepared a guide about how to transfer VST plugins to new computer Mac.
What Is a VST Plugin?
So, a plugin is software that essentially works inside another piece of software. In other words, it doesn’t work on its own. You need to plug it into something else. Now, VST plugins, or Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plugins, are the type of software used by recording engineers as well as artists to enhance their audio projects. The beauty of such plugins is that both amateurs and professionals can use them.
What does a VST Plugin do?
The original method of mixing and producing the music includes physical instruments and hardware, which can make the process a little bit difficult. They take a lot of space and are expensive. But with the help of VST plugins, there is no need to use physical instruments to accomplish effects like compression and reverb. VST plugins basically replace such physical hardware and can acj=hive all those results on their own.
Can you Transfer VST Plugins to a new Computer?
Yes, you can, but not all can be transferred to a new computer just like that. For instance, for those VST files and plugins that you have paid for, you would need to reinstall them. This is because they essentially create Registry entries and/or put other supporting files in other folders on the drive.
How to Transfer VST Plugins To New Computer Mac:
- First, you need to find your plugins. For that purpose, Use the Finder “Go” menu.
- Use “Go to folder,” and paste this code: /Library/Audio/Plug-ins This will open the folder where your plugins are stored.
- From here, you can easily copy the entire contents from your old HD to the desktop of the new Mac.
- After that, drop the plugins that aren’t present on the new system into place from the desktop.
What if I Can’t Transfer VST Plugins to a new Computer Mac?
Simple, you just need to reinstall them. As mentioned earlier, not all VST plugins can be transferred just like that to the new computer. This happens mainly in the case of those plugins that you have paid for. To get them on your new Mac computer or laptop, you need to reinstall them again on your new device.
You May Also Like: Best drum Overhead Mics Under 500 Dollars
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Where are VST plugins stored on Mac?
Ans: When you install them, the Audio Units plugins appear as individual components in the Library folders on Mac. Go to Finder and choose to Go > Go to Folder to find them. Enter “/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components” into the Go to Folder field, then click Go. Or alternatively, you just check the Library in your Home folder.
Q: What are the Best VST Plugins?
Ans: Here is a list of some VST plugins plus software packages for music production that you can buy from Amazon.
- Music Software Bundle for Recording, Editing, Beat Making & Production
- Audio Editing Recording Mixing Software with Pro VST Plugins Bundle and Best DAW for Windows PC and Mac on DVD Disc
- Audio Plugins Bundle for Software VST AU AAX Music Synth Delay Virtual Instruments Windows & MAC for FL Studio, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc. (32Gb USB)
- Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2
You May Also Like: Best Usb Interface Under 500 Dollars