Often enough, the storage space that looked big enough just a few months earlier is brimming with stuff. And now you need more space. Sure, you can move many things to external hard drives, but what about software? Wouldn’t it be better to install software like VST on an external hard drive? This way, you will be able to save a lot of space on your computer without any fuss. So here you have it, a guide about how to install VST on external hard drive.
Should I Store VSTs On External Hard Drive?
Yes, you can. The only precaution you need to take is to ensure that all your sample libraries, virtual instruments, and plugins are all stored in one place. In the case of storing them somewhere else, it is always smart to ensure that all of them are stored in one place on a dedicated hard drive or hard drive partition. If even a single file from any virtual instrument library or plugin folder is moved or deleted, it will result in you uninstalling and reinstalling the entire software.
How To Install VST On External Hard Drive:
Here is a step-by-step process of installing VST on an external hard drive.
- Plugin the external hard drive.
- Open up the interface of Native Access.
- Go to Preferences.
- Open the File Locations
- On Download Location, click on Browse and change the location to the external hard drive.
- On Application Location, again click on Browse and change the location to the specified folder on external hard drive. This is where your actual VST will be moved to install in the new place.
- Click on Browse again and change the location to the specified folder in the external hard drive on Content-Location.
- Hit on Save, and move on.
- Now go to any VST of your choice on Native Access, and click on install. It will indicate the start of downloading process by displaying Download Started.
To summarize, all you have to do is go to the Preferences in your installer and then change the locations. And that’s it. The process is more or less the same, even if you use an installer other than Native Access. For example, in Omnisphere, you have to go to the Destination Select on the installer’s interface to change the location.
You May Also Like: Best Mixing Console For Professional Recording Studio
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What are the best hard drives to move the VST to?
Ans: Here is a list of the best hard drives available right now.
- WD 5TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive
- WD 2TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive
- Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0
You May Also Like: Best Powered Speakers Under 500 Dollars